What’s the difference between ribbed and round grips?

Posted on September 24, 2012

What's the difference between ribbed and round grips?  R = Round and X = Ribbed.  Most golf grips are available in round whereas some grips are also available as ribbed models. A ribbed grip has a small ridge that runs the length of the inside of the grip. If you hold the grip up to your eye and pointed toward a light, one can see the inner portion of the grip. In the vast majority of today's grips the inner portion will be perfectly smooth. The inner core of a grip can be designed with an internal feature than when placed onto the golf shaft will produce a pronounced raised rib in order to change the feel of the grip. This rib can aid in hand positioning. The term “reminder rib” is also used to describe a ribbed grip as it can help “remind” the golfer the proper position When you address the golf ball with your club, you'll be able to feel this rib in your upper hand. Some golfers benefit from this as a reminder of proper hand/finger placement on the club. A round grip, of course, does not have this ridge. A popular 'ribbed' golf grip is the Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip in black for men, click here or pink in undersize, click here.